Palika Climate Coordinator – Open to Nepalese nationals only. Level SB 3 Peg 3
Location : Achham and Dolpa, NEPAL
Additional Category : Climate & Disaster Resilience
Type of Contract : Other
Post Level : Other
Languages Required : English
Duration of Initial Contract : Ten months
The current phase of Nepal Climate Change Support Programme will come to an end on 30 Sept 2018. DFID and GoN have jointly agreed to continue implementation of NCCSP as a transition project using climate resilient development (CRDP) approaches in 14 Palikas (one in each of 14 NCCSP districts) during FY 2018/2019 directly through UNDP. The focus of transition programme under next one year will be in implementing priority climate resilient development sub-projects identified by each of 14 Palikas in their Plan, capacity development, helping them to embed climate resilience into their development plans for the next fiscal year as well as document learnings of the project implementation under federal set up for future upscaling. UNDP will manage both TA and capital fund for the period 2018/19.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Assist to integrate approaches and strategies of climate resilient policy and strategies in development plan/activities of Palikas
2. Coordinate and collaborate with local level stakeholders (GoN, private sector, NGOs) to ensure effective implementation of NCCSP activities.
3. Provide necessary support to programme Palikas to ensure timely achievement of the project outputs/activities as per NCCSP workplan.
4. Conduct regular monitoring though field visits, progress review and document learnings/lessons.
5. Compile reports based on information received from project implementation at Palika level.
6. Assist in developing /implementing capacity building plans of Palikas.
7. Assist/support Field Coordinator and PMU for undertaking review and assessment of NCCSP implementation, analyse information and prepare monthly, quarterly, annual and reports on demand by government, UNDP and development partners.
8. Provide high quality editing and formatting for all programme related reports, documents;
9. Support Field Coordinator in preparing presentations, organizing and managing seminars, workshops, press conferences and field visits
10. Prepare/establish results framework, data base, risks/issue log of the project.
The key Responsibilities of the assignment are:
• Assist Palikas in preparing and monitoring climate resilient plan.
• Collection, analysis of the implementation data and prepare reports
• Ensure gender and inclusion issues/data are captured, and analysed for promoting/integrating GESI in Palika plans implementation.
• Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
• Serves and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
• Good inter-personal skills;
• Clear and upfront communication skills;
• Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
• Organized and good with following-up on pending issues; meets deadlines;
• Promote learning and knowledge management/sharing;
• Focused on delivering results by taking calculated-risks and problem solving approach;
• Fair and transparent decision making; regularly shares information with team members;;
• Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development.
• Demonstrate ability to identify and anticipate bottlenecks, as well as seek guidance;
• Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy, confidentiality concerning financial and employee files; (for admin and finance, project management positions);
• Ability to organize and complete assignments within deadlines;
• Integrity and impartiality, ability to work with external partners e.g. supplier, vendors, service providers;
• Ability to convey difficult issues and positions to senior officials proactively seek guidance and make clear recommendations to line managers;
• Dynamic and results-oriented;
• Strong verbal and written skills; ability to draft short memos and conduct presentations;
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
• Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
• Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities; can multi task;
• Willing to work long hours;
• Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view;
• Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
Required Skills and Experience
• Completion of Bachelor’s degree in Environment, Climate Change, Agriculture, Forestry, Management, Social Sciences or any other relevant subject.
• 5 years of relevant work experience in project implementation in a governmental or multilateral organization.
• Proven experience in working with climate change projects
• Experience in networking and relationship building.
• Experience in working with local bodies/government
• Proficiency in written and spoken Nepali and English languages.
• Knowledge and experience of Results Based Management (RBM) methodologies and tools (project and programme management, design, monitoring and evaluation) and report writing.
• Experience in usage of computers and office software packages (MS package)
• Ability to live/ travel to remote Palikas under challenging condition.
• Report writing skills
Last date to apply: 3 September 2018.